Energy Technology and Markets Advisor
Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations
In the race to combat climate change, time is of the essence. The Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations (OCED) is investing billions of dollars in projects that will play an essential role in achieving the world’s net-zero goals, deploying next-generation energy technologies across America. OCED’s mission is to deliver clean energy demonstration projects at scale in partnership with the private sector to accelerate market adoption, deployment, and the equitable transition to a decarbonized energy system.
If you want to be a significant player in this space, we’re offering an opportunity you can’t afford to ignore.
Reporting to the Director for Portfolio Strategy, the Energy Technology and Markets Advisor will create a new program and team to establish innovative demand-side support mechanisms (i.e. Advanced Market Commitments, Contract for Differences, etc.) to catalyze nascent clean energy deployments and markets.
Demand-side support measures represent a potential tool to achieve DOE’s deployment mission by providing a predictable commercial market for early deployments of clean energy technologies. Demand-side support measures have accelerated commercial scale-up of technologies in energy and for other critical products and services, both in the United States and abroad.
The Energy Technology and Markets Advisor will apply expert knowledge of energy markets and commodity trading, strategies to de-risk nascent clean energy technologies through demand certainty or other means, and private sector investment decision-making to aid OCED in building and managing a $1B demand-side support mechanism for clean hydrogen markets, with the potential expand this program into other clean energy products over time.
This program is part of a well-diversified ~$30 billion portfolio of demonstration projects that will unleash private sector capital, establish new clean energy markets, and drive a just transition to a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Working with OCED, you will learn about cutting-edge clean energy and decarbonization technologies, work with a dynamic team, grow expertise in technology commercialization, and inform policies across the Federal Government.
- Stand up a new OCED program to resolve critical barriers to private sector capital formation for clean energy deployment, focused on establishing and overseeing a new demand-side market support mechanism (i.e. Advanced Market Commitments, Contract for Differences, etc.) for clean hydrogen, with the potential to expand into other markets.
- Establish a partnership with an independent U.S. not-for-profit entity and work with that entity on a demand-side support measure to support DOE’s Regional Clean Hydrogen Hubs program.
- Apply experience in commodity markets, project finance, and commercial contracting to advise on the design of demand-side support or other market-supporting mechanisms, starting with demand-side measures to support projects affiliated with DOE’s Regional Clean Hydrogen Hubs.
- Manage a competitive process for selection of projects for demand-side support or other market-supporting mechanisms.
- Oversee the execution of commercial agreements with clean energy projects.
- Interface with clean energy developers, investors, Government partners, academic institutions, non-traditional partners, and other stakeholders to inform and support DOE’s demand-side activities overall and support commercial liftoff for clean energy technologies.
- Prepare analysis and briefing materials for senior Department leadership to communicate findings and articulate program impacts for OCED and DOE decision-making.
- Evaluate future opportunities to expand demand-side support mechanisms into markets beyond clean hydrogen.
- 15 years of demonstrated experience with a depth and breadth that encompasses commodity markets, project finance, and commercial contracting, especially in clean energy, ideally with some expert knowledge of hydrogen markets.
- Experience engaging with clean energy developers, investors, market participants, and other stakeholders, ideally in hydrogen and other clean energy technologies.
- Ability to stand up and oversee business systems, operations, and control systems that ensure sufficient legal, IT, accounting, financial, and management to ensure proper oversight, accountability, and compliance and to avoid actual or perceived conflicts of interests.
- Ability to create, collaborate, and motivate high performance teams.
- Strong commitment to fostering and supporting a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible workplace.