Senior Engineering Manager, Flight Software
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is working on the next generation small satellite bus that will host a high resolution optical imaging payload (Pelican) and a hyperspectral payload (Fidelity). The Flight Software (FSW) team is responsible for creating the software systems that run on all of our satellites, including satellite control and telemetry, radio communications, payload software, and embedded firmware. In addition to developing and maintaining the software that runs on our satellites, the FSW team also contributes to the design and implementation of our satellite management ecosystem. This includes software that runs on ground stations, in the cloud, and on satellite manufacturing equipment.
We are seeking a Sr. Engineering Manager to join our Flight Software (FSW) Team to augment and improve our software processes, provide technical solutions, as well as mentor and grow our software team. As Sr. EM FSW team, you will be responsible for managing Planet’s world-class embedded software team while developing and delivering to our space systems technical roadmap. As Sr. EM FSW, you will work closely with cross-team stakeholders including our EPM, EE, RF, MFG, Payload, Mission Systems, and Mission Operations to build out delivery plans for all of the FSW deliverables that meet cross-team expectations while meetings our launch and operational schedules.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Lead a subset of our flight software team to deliver functioning software to our satellites
- Develop strategic plan and technical software roadmap for Planet’s next generation satellite systems
- Integration of top-down and bottom up schedules, roadmaps, priorities, and prioritize between differing programs as well as between short-term vs long-term needs of the group and the space systems organization
- Software processing - creating bug reports, identifying the right software (embedded and application) and hardware, ensuring quality, testing, coding, agile scrum planning,
- Work with other disciplines at Planet to complete complex milestones
- Use Sprint planning tools to keep objectives on track and ensure visibility into FSW work
- Participate in long-term planning with the project management team
- Drive Planet success by ensuring the delivery and optimal performance of Planet’s on-orbit assets
What You Bring:
- 10+ years experience developing embedded software solutions for complex hardware products
- 6+ years of experience managing and leading technically complex projects and a diverse team of engineers and mentoring and growing teams
- Demonstrated history of delivering successful software solutions and ability to quickly resolve escalations
- Develop processes, tools, and teams to provide sustaining software support while simultaneously working on new products
- Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of building cohesive teams and inter-team relationships
- Working knowledge of software development methodologies, agile vs waterfall processes, JIRA and sprint planning
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with managing previous aerospace or space projects
- Experience in the automotive, mobile, networking, medical, robotics, IoT, or similar embedded device industries
- Experience with some of our key technical areas, such as cameras or other image sensors, high-speed radio communication, high data rate storage systems
- Experience with system design and system trades
- Past experience as an individual contributor writing embedded software and reviewing schematics
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $196,800 - $246,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.