Head of Manufacturing
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Our mission is to move humanity off of fossil fuel heating. 20% of US global warming emissions come from homes (that’s more than cars!). The largest driver of home emissions is burning fossil fuels for heat. To stop climate change, over 80M US homes need to transition from combustion to efficient, electric heat pumps over the coming decades.
We believe for this to happen the world needs fantastic products that are easy and desirable to purchase. Today's heat pumps lack great design, make limited use of software, and are difficult and stressful to adopt. We are building a next generation, beautifully designed, AI optimized home heating and cooling system that is 10x better than what is on the market today.
Our founders recently left Google, where they had successful careers across engineering, design, and product management. As heat pumps benefit from unprecedented consumer interest and financial incentives, we are also backed by some of the best climate tech and AI investors in the world.
Quilt is looking for an experienced manufacturing leader to help bring our first heat pump products to market. You have shipped amazing products across a variety of categories (including premium consumer electronics). You have worked with a variety manufacturer types at large and early stage companies. You have stood up manufacturing operations in the past, built and led teams, and delivered success in a number of roles. Your experience spans manufacturing engineering, test development, quality systems, contracting, and negotiating. You have an extensive network and experience to deliver our product on time, at cost, and with a high quality. Lastly, you have a strong mission alignment to build products that are climate positive on day one and get customers excited to decarbonize their homes.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, or a related field. Advanced degree (e.g., MBA) is a plus.
- Proven experience in manufacturing leadership roles, preferably in consumer electronics or climate tech industries.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes, quality management, and environmental sustainability practices.
- Demonstrated experience in team management, leadership, and talent development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Problem-solving abilities and a data-driven mindset.
- Familiarity with industry-standard tools and software for manufacturing and supply chain management.
- A passion for environmental sustainability and a commitment to the company's mission.
- Manufacturing Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive manufacturing strategy aligned with the company's mission and values. Continuously refine and optimize manufacturing processes for maximum efficiency.
- Production Planning: Create production plans, schedules, and budgets to meet product demand while maintaining high-quality standards. Ensure on-time delivery and cost-effective production.
- Quality Assurance: Implement and maintain rigorous quality control measures throughout the manufacturing process. Establish quality standards and monitor adherence to them to guarantee product excellence.
- Supply Chain Management: Collaborate closely with the supply chain team to manage component procurement, inventory levels, and vendor relationships. Ensure a reliable and sustainable supply chain to support production needs.
- Cost Management: Control manufacturing costs by identifying cost-saving opportunities, negotiating favorable contracts, and managing budgets effectively.
- Regulatory Compliance: Stay up-to-date with industry regulations, safety standards, and environmental requirements. Ensure full compliance with relevant laws and regulations in the manufacturing process.
- Continuous Improvement: Drive continuous improvement initiatives to enhance manufacturing efficiency, product quality, and sustainability. Implement lean manufacturing principles and innovative technologies where applicable.
- Risk Management: Identify and mitigate manufacturing-related risks, ensuring a resilient and adaptable manufacturing operation.
This is an opportunity to join a highly ambitious team of people who truly care about the impact of their work. We are on a mission to accelerate a species-level human transition. For over a million years we've been burning things to stay warm. It's time to move to a better way of living.