Summer 2024 Internship - Engineering
Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Summer 2024 Internship - Engineering
Radiant is looking for bright and eager students to join our Summer 2024 internship program. We are hiring across various groups in nuclear, thermomechanical, materials, electrical and software engineering. Our interns take on real world project ownership and get exposure to interdisciplinary teams working on interesting and hard problems. Successful interns come in with a growth mindset, aren't afraid to be proactive and take tasks on, and enjoy collaborating with others. You'll receive mentorship from a world class team of engineers and gain deeper technical expertise.
Here are example responsibilities:
- Develop and analyze nuclear technology spanning from shielding, neutronics , thermal modeling, fuel and more.
- Perform design, development and thermal analysis of mechanical components and subsystems such as shielding, heat exchangers, fluid systems components, tooling and more.
- Develop and produce metal hydrides for nuclear moderator applications
- Write code for in-house materials database to support analysis pipelines
- Develop electrical subsystems and hardware with an eye for safety critical and fault tolerant applications.
- Support test stand development for system level testing.
- Develop front and backend systems for digital twin software used to simulate the Kaleidos reactors, sub-systems, test stands and more.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in Mechanical, Materials, Nuclear, Electrical, Software Engineering or similar discipline.
- Proficient engineering fundamentals in your areas of studies.
- Must be at least a rising junior if in undergraduate program (i.e. graduating from undergraduate degree by Summer 2025).
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Hands on project examples outside of the classroom such as extracurricular projects, clubs, research, lab work or personal projects.
- Prior internship experience helpful but not required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment with a proactive and collaborative attitude.
- Excited to take on new challenges and continue to learn and grow.
- Willing to be hands on in our R&D shop building test stands.
- Eager to engage with and be mentored by senior engineers, including the ability to implement continuous feedback.
Benefits and Perks of Internship:
- Housing: Competitive pay that includes ability to cover housing in Los Angeles area.
- Culture: Past events included city scavenger hunts, trips to the Hollywood Bowl for fun concerts, movie nights,
- Professional development: Take on real world projects and present your results at the end of the internship. Other activities include fireside chats with co-founders, being assigned to a direct mentor, and having access to library of resources.
- Office: Free snacks and drinks, occasional covered team lunches, collaborative work environment with a growing R&D production lab.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.