Senior Manufacturing Process Engineer, Heat Treat
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team is responsible for developing and maturing the core additive manufacturing technology used to produce Relativity’s orbital class launch vehicles. The Stargate Operations Team is responsible for operationalizing new technology within Relativity’s Stargate class WAAM printers (Wire-Arc-Additive-Manufacturing), demonstrating readiness for production at scale. We are looking for a Manufacturing Process Engineer to develop a robust heat treat process of the largest metal 3D printed parts in the world and then scale it to meet the customer demand for our next generation reusable launch vehicle, Terran R.
What you’ll do:
- Be the process owner of our 67,000 cubic foot volume heat treat air furnace.
- Be the subject matter expert for operation of the furnace.
- Orchestrate part placement and furnace controls to meet requirements from our materials engineering team to further refine existing heat treat recipes and develop brand new processes for developmental parts and materials.
- Responsibility over all heat treat operations of all WAAM components comprising the Terran R primary structure.
- Author, release and sustain SOP's for part loading and unloading, data capture, coupon control and acceptance, and OQE reporting.
- Implement all calibration, maintenance, and quality assurance provisions necessary to meet AMS standards including AMS2750, and AS9100 standards.
- Provide the technical expertise to disposition any production non-conformances related to the heat treat process.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify root cause of heat treat issues and implement corrective actions, driving procedure and business practice updates.
- Own the process monitoring system that tracks and reports the furnace’s health and performance.
- Lead the scheduling and day-to-day production operations of the furnace.
- Develop robust training documentation for the technician team and conduct regular sessions to ensure the team is working safely and getting optimal performance from the furnace.
- Work with the asset management team and furnace OEM to define the routine maintenance requirements.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Engineering, Technician, and Additive Development teams core to the WAAM process.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials engineering, or similar.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- A strong understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics and a demonstrated ability to apply them to real world problems.
- Extensive experience working with large volume heat treat furnaces.
- Experience with AMS 2750 pyrometry requirements and compliance.
- General understanding of aluminum heat treat metallurgical principles.
- Experience with machine controls and instrumentation.
- Experience collecting and statistically analyzing manufacturing process data.
- Experience interfacing with engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Experience managing a large scope of ownership.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: metallic heat treat, Lean manufacturing principles, controls, metallurgy, heat transfer and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, project management, or similar fields.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Hands-on experience operating large heat treat furnaces or similar equipment.
- Experience developing heat treat processes for custom aluminum alloy systems.
- Experience developing manufacturing processes in compliance with AS9100.
- Rigging and lifting experience.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace