Senior Propulsion Development Engineer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity seeks a highly talented Propulsion Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the combustion devices team. We are responsible for designing, manufacturing, and testing the TCA, gas generator, and auxiliary combustion devices for the Aeon-R engine. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution to the development of the Terran R launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class combustion devices team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
What you’ll do:
You will work with a team of engineers developing critical components within the stage 2 TCA from concept through manufacturing and implementation. This role involves a range of skillsets: design, analysis (structural, thermal, fluid), manufacturing, test, project management, and strong communication. You will work across teams and departments and take ownership of projects as a responsible engineer. To be successful in this role, we are looking for someone who is highly driven, collaborative, and capable of supporting development through the entire product lifecycle with minimal oversight. Our combustion devices team strives for continuous improvement, supporting the development of our technical hardware and human teammates alike.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering field
- 5+ years of experience in combustion devices
- Strong engineering fundamentals in thermodynamics, thermal, structural, and fluids analysis
- Clear evidence of ownership from school or work experience
Nice to haves but not required:
- Relevant experience in a rocket engine development and/or test environment
- Working knowledge of engine subsystems such as combustion devices, heat exchangers, ducting
- Exposure and Knowledge in powder bed additive manufacturing and automation techniques, cold spray, WAAM, DED
- Experience in bolted and welded joint design for varying material, pressure, and temperatures.
- We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace