Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.\n
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is a fantastic opportunity to shape the physical design of Rivian’s electric vehicle systems! We’re looking for a highly motivated, multi-disciplined, CAD based mechanical design engineer to help us package and design mechanical components in support of electronic hardware that will lead the EV industry.
- Collaboratively design mechanical components by interfacing with multiple business functions within the company in support of electrical hardware such as ECUs, antennae, displays, harnessing, switches, audio, sensors, and power systems. \n
- Integrate / package a wide variety of electrical components in CAD, such as ECUs, microphones, switches, power outlets, USB ports, sensors, and new end user electronic devices for innovative applications on our vehicles. \n
- Take a high level view of vehicle mechanical architecture, and electrical system integration into the overall product and process, driving engineering tradeoffs to optimize performance, cost, and mass. \n
- Partner with manufacturing engineering to ensure designs that deliver high first pass factory yields, and high field reliability. \n
- Develop and document component mechanical functional requirements based on product requirements for custom, semi-custom, and off-the-shelf components. \n
- Review and approve supplier RFQ responses, test plans, simulation and testing results, and production strategy. \n
- Consider all aspects of integration such as UI/UX, EMC, service, manufacturing build feasibility, thermal, durability, mounting, ensuring correct clearances, NVH, water/dust ingress, component functionality, perceived quality, etc. \n
- Lead suppliers to effectively execute designs on short timelines and ‘Release’ mechanical components \n
- Complete component design verification plans to ensure we deliver low mass, low cost, yet durable parts and modules to the vehicle program. \n
- Perform other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the position \n
- At least 8 years industry experience within automotive or other industries (consumer electronics, biomedical, aerospace, etc.) \n
- B.S degree (or above), in mechanical engineering, or relevant equivalent experience. \n
- Experience designing components and /or systems that include mechanism design, thermal design, PCB integration, sensor integration, user interface/user experience (UI/UX) considerations, and class A surface integration. \n
- Be a proficient CAD designer, ideally within Catia V5 / V6 / 3DX, though other equivalent systems will be considered. Advanced surfacing and solid modelling expertise is preferred, along with strong CAD structure/organizational skills. \n
- Great problem solving and communication skills. \n
- Lead component drawing creation including GD&T to ASME Y14.5 standards in support of worst case tolerance analysis. \n
- Ability to identify optimization opportunities from CAE/testing results. \n
- A good knowledge of manufacturing methods such as sheet metal brake-press and stamping, injection molded plastic, cast metals, CNC machining, 3D printing etc. \n
- Knowledgeable in a wide range of EV vehicle systems, automotive design and manufacturing practices, and low voltage electrical system integration. Direct experience preferred. \n
- Conversant with DFMEA principles and execution. \n
Salary range for California based applicants: $168,000 - $193,000 (Actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.\n
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.\n
Candidate Data Privacy\n
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.\n
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.\n
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.\n
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.