Engineering Design Manager, Capital Projects
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
Sila Nanotechnologies is seeking an Engineering Design Manager for our Capital Projects team to lead the design and engineering of new battery material manufacturing facilities. Your initial project will manage the detailed design and construction support of Sila’s next-generation anode material factory. In this role, you will use your experience to guide the team in this fast-paced project while identifying and building new design management processes and tools at Sila. You’ll balance rigorous task and resource management with quick decision-making, and be comfortable with ambiguity. You’ll work seamlessly with internal teams and external engineering and construction partners to drive engineering execution and related procurement activities to meet our large-scale capital project objectives at Sila.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the facility design of new battery material manufacturing factories, including conceptual and detailed design, equipment procurement interface, and change management. Responsibilities span all project phases and all facility systems, from office spaces to industrial gas processing.
- Serve as the first point of contact for plant design communication with external engineering and construction partners, from front-end through detailed design, procurement, construction, start-up, and initial operation.
- Push teams to evaluate and execute innovative designs and equipment options to improve schedule, reduce cost, and deliver operations-friendly systems
- With the project management team, ensure engineering and procurement activities align with project milestones and budgets
- Assign, oversee, and track engineering and technical procurement deliverables. Ensure deliverables are resourced appropriately and re-assign or re-prioritize as needed.
- Manage drawing, design, and purchasing review cycles, ensuring compliance with applicable codes and standards
- Identify and assess risks to engineering and equipment delivery; ensure appropriate risk mitigations are in place and communicated
- Respond to or delegate technical RFIs and submittals across multiple external partners and contractors
- Build out new design processes and tools at Sila, using past experience and industry best practices
- Travel to build sites and contractors’ offices for design and construction support
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Minimum of 5 years experience in engineering management
- B.S. in chemical, industrial, mechanical, manufacturing engineering or similar field
- Experience working in a hybrid team including internal engineers and external contractors or EPCs
- Experience designing ground-up facilities or major renovations, including facility infrastructure and utilities
- Demonstrated project management skills that provide consistent communication and organization for project teams
- Understanding of various project delivery methods and integrated design using BIM
- Demonstrated ability to bring teams together while positively influencing, coaching, and training team members
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage fast-paced decisions with tact, respect, and professionalism
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Move long distances and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a hard hat, gloves, safety glasses, and safety shoes
- Occasionally kneel or bend
- Up to 25% travel (potential for higher during critical construction and start-up activities) to and from build sites and contractors’ design offices
The starting base pay for this role is between $172,000 and $218,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.