Senior Process Design Engineer
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
You are a creative, diligent, and hands-on technical contributor. You thrive in a fast paced environment and understand process design from conceptual design through commissioning. In this role, you will help create the next generation of battery materials by demonstrating your process engineering toolkit to lead a team in efforts to design unit operations, shepherd those designs through detailed engineering, and start-up and qualify new manufacturing lines.
You will be on a team, surrounded by individuals with a diverse set of backgrounds, but a similar goal. We start with first principles, develop new materials, design & qualify processes for pilot scale development & commercial production, and continually support and improve our manufacturing capability. You will enjoy closely collaborating with a core team of Process, Equipment, Manufacturing, and Environmental Health and Safety representatives on multi-phase, multi-year projects.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Serve as a main point of contact for process engineering inquiries from conceptual design through detailed design, construction, start-up and initial operation
- Execute design projects to close gaps or settle issues encountered in design
- Manage design changes to overall facility heat and mass balance, including utilities
- Develop internal best practices based on industry standards and requirements.
- Mentor internal technology teams on industry standards for: equipment sizing, line sizing, emergency system design, hazard analysis
- Identify gaps in capital project execution, commissioning or asset operation through close observation and foresight. Raise these gaps to relevant responsible parties and assist in closure where appropriate.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- B.S. in Engineering or comparable with 7+ years of large capital projects experience
- Fluent in capital process design documentation
- Familiarity working with and designing to industrial standards
- Desire to teach, work with a team and also have the ability to solve problems alone
- Proficient in Process Modeling software such as Aveva Process Simulation/SimCentral, ASPEN, HYSYS, ProII or gPROMs
- Process design experience including generating HMBs, cost estimation, preliminary equipment sizing, and PFD/P&ID development
- Be a conscientious, curious, and a deliberate problem solver
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Remain in a stationary position to operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer machine, etc.
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection
- Precise and repetitive handling of a range of material quantities
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
The starting base pay for this role is between $128,000 and $162,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. #onsite #RS-1
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.