We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
As a Payroll Manager, you will lead Sila’s day to day payroll operations and drive projects to improve the efficiency, accuracy and timely completion of all payroll processes. As the Company grows, you will work closely with the People and Finance/Accounting teams to maintain the Company’s payroll processing systems and procedures, respond to all payroll-related matters, and keep accurate records. You are someone who has strong analytical and organizational skills, with extensive knowledge and experience in payroll processing.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of all regular and off-cycle payroll tasks in accordance with Company policy, federal, state and local laws.
- Manage and resolve all issues related to payroll. Respond to urgent requests and inquiries from employees. Facilitate employee comprehension of payroll and benefit procedures, while maintaining the confidentiality of all payroll transactions and information.
- Maintain payroll processing system (ADP Workforce Now) to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions. Identify and recommend updates to payroll processing software (ADP), systems, and procedures.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates. Prepare, review and distribute annual employee tax forms, including W-2’s and 1095’s.
- Prepare and process all benefit related data files and feeds based on payroll withholdings. Prepare or review periodic payroll and benefits journal entries and complete reconciliations of source data to GL. Support annual and periodic audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Interpret new legislation impacting payroll and recommend changes to processes, controls or systems required to comply with new legislation.
- Hire, coach, and support talent through consistent feedback, navigation of challenges, and celebration of wins
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, processing, and review, as well as completion of journal entries and performing account reconciliations
- Extensive knowledge of required compliance, controls and processes, especially related to payroll tax withholding and changes in payroll legislation, required federal, state and local filings
- Proficient with ADP WorkforceNow, Time & Attendance, SmartCompliance, and iReports
- Proficient with Google Apps or equivalent (Gmail, Docs, Sheets)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- People-oriented. Track record of employee-focused support and strong desire to promptly resolve employee inquiries and issues
- Minimum five years of payroll administration and management experience required- deep knowledge of payroll for California and Washington required
- Experience with payroll for a high percentage of non-exempt employees required
- Experience as a payroll department of one preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Bachelor's Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified Equity Professional (CEP) preferred
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- May need to move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer, etc in a fixed location
The starting base pay for this role is between $117,000 and $148,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. #LI-FM1 #LI-Hybrid
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.