We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
We are seeking a dedicated EHS&S Technician to support specific EHS&S Compliance Programs in our Moses Lake, WA facility. You will help guide Sila to achieve regulatory compliance and continuous improvement in risk reduction.
In this role, you will work collaboratively with team members and our customers to develop and manage policies while establishing standards and work instructions to highlight the essential safeguards for preventing high consequence outcomes. Sila is a 24/7 Manufacturing Business that is rapidly growing to power the world’s transition to clean energy. The EHS&S Department is committed to helping Sila operate in a safe, healthful, and environmentally responsible manner to protect our colleagues, customers, and communities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist with the development, implementation, improvement, and support for EHS&S policies. Including standards, work instructions, & training materials for needed EHS&S subjects such as, waste management, isolation of hazardous energy, confined space entry, work at heights, electrical safety, personal protective equipment, and hot work.
- Perform chemical and equipment hazard assessments; recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees' exposure to chemical and physical work hazards as well as ensure compliance with all required regulations.
- Conduct internal assurance audits/inspections, incident / event and near miss investigations, define corrective actions, monitor and track completion of corrective action items with site personnel.
- Conduct employee exposure monitoring studies within training and qualification limits as required.
- Advocate for simplification of processes to address highest consequence risks to help make it easy for employees to do work safely and difficult for them to do work incorrectly or unsafely.
- Represent EHS&S Department in Safety Teams, Committees & Councils as assigned.
- Serve on Sila Emergency Response Team as the Safety Officer including being on-call for designated periods during the year to provide off-hours support.
- Track & analyze event trends to help educate Silazens on appropriate risk reduction actions to build into our systems.
- Accurately maintains EHS&S documents, records, and data in a consistent and repeatable manner.
- Accurately research and analyze relevant regulations, codes, and standards to help guide Sila’s compliance efforts.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 2 years of experience with Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) program support
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or Health or a similar science-based discipline preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take on new challenges and to continuously improve skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Google or Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Driven to live to Sila’s values of Winning Together, Owning It, Mastering their Craft, and Finding & Facing Facts.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times, 50 pounds with assistance.
- Must be able to wear fall protection, climb ladders, and work at heights within the limitations of available safety equipment specifications (300 lbs including tools & equipment).
- Able to move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Occasionally kneel or bend
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection when required
The starting base pay for this role is between $29/hr and $37/hr at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, and equity. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for overtime.
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.