Concept Development Research Internship
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
You are creative, proactive, rigorous, insightful and hands-on. You are passionate about contributing to the global transition to renewable energy by developing scalable energy storage nanomaterials and using them in devices. You are able to draw from your fundamental knowledge from coursework and hands-on research experience and apply it to the production and characterization of novel energy storage materials. Further, you are able to perform systematic experiments to understand the relationships between the materials you make and their performance in real-world energy storage devices and communicate that understanding to others. In this internship you’ll make connections in the fast growing energy materials field and get a flavor of the benefits that a scientific career at Sila has to offer.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Working on specific process development projects with the engineering team developing novel nanostructured materials and products
- Performing material syntheses and workup, and fabricating product prototypes under guidance of senior engineers
- Designing, running, and analyzing experiments to characterize the chemical and morphological properties of nanomaterials and product prototypes
- Thorough documentation and presentation of results, with conclusions and recommendations, to deliver to engineering mentors, management and other stakeholders
- Development and execution of novel analytical methods to characterize product prototypes
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Ability to make a six month commitment to working and developing skills at Sila.
- Studying toward a degree in chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry, or related field
- Exceptional analytical and documentation skills
- Ability to learn new skills and ask for help when needed
- Capable of working independently with direction
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Operate analytical equipment at a bench
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer, etc in a fixed location
The starting base pay for this role is between $35/hr and $55/hr at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, and equity. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for overtime. #LI-FM1 #LI-Onsite
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.