About the role:
Thin films are micro- or nano-scale materials that enable many high-growth industries, including Lithium- and Zinc-based batteries, solar cells, carbon sequestration and conversion technologies, optical devices, quantum devices, displays, adhesives, medical implants, semiconductors, packaging materials, and many others. SirenOpt makes a real-time sensing and software platform to improve manufacturing yield and performance of thin film products.
The sensor is enabled by low-temperature plasmas and can collect multiple thin film property measurements (such as thickness with a precision of 1/10th of a nanometer, density, resistivity, chemical composition, and contaminate identification) in parallel and in real-time, thus allowing for the collection of critical data that is otherwise unobtainable. The optimization-based decision-making software uses the data from the sensor to accelerate R&D and process optimization, improve quality control, and enable real-time process control.
We are looking for a highly motivated Metrology Engineer to help us understand, discover, and analyze the relative economic value of all possible applications for our sensing and software platform. As an early-stage member of the SirenOpt team, you will be able to make a real impact on next-generation thin film technologies and help build a solid technical foundation upon which a small company can grow. The ideal candidate will learn new concepts quickly and take pride in the quality of their work. We expect that you will be able to apply sound engineering judgment to solve a wide range of technical challenges efficiently and creatively. Some of these problems may lie outside your core areas of expertise, so technical curiosity and a self-starting attitude are critical for success.
- Education: Ph.D. (with relevant thesis work) in materials science, physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related discipline
- Years of Experience: 0 - 4 Years in materials science or related industry
- Experience in a customer-facing role for a minimum of 2 years is required related to thin-film deposition, metrology, or surface characterization
- Compensation and Logistics
- Location: San Francisco Bay Area (on-site required)
- U.S. Salary Range: $120,000 - $160,000 (plus equity). The salary offered to a selected candidate will vary depending on confirmed job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, and 401k-matching
Key Job Requirements
- Metrology and inspection expertise in thin and thick film characterization, in particular films related to Lithium- and Zinc-based battery electrodes, photovoltaics, optical coatings, displays, packaging materials, semiconducting wafers, and/or adhesives
- Strong data analytics skillset, including programming experience in Python
- In-depth understanding of thin and thick film metrology, customer technologies, and critical industry gaps; ability to define (and implement) metrology solutions that address these gaps
- Understand customers’ characterization requirements and identify the best possible solutions using SirenOpt’s sensing technology
- Conduct new tool demonstrations to showcase tool performance and develop use cases to help drive tool sales. Report and discuss product, measurement and application demonstration results with customers
- Interface with customers regarding technical requirements, analyses, and schedules
- Identify new applications, performance capabilities, product features and value to further enhance market opportunities
- Create & lead new methodologies in order to optimize system performance for specific applications
- Complex problem-solving; ability to take a new perspective on existing solutions
- Perform concept and feasibility, and qualification analyses of new metrology approaches
- Analyze, develop, and transfer new application capabilities within the SirenOpt sensing system envelope to customer sites
- Assist with business development, qualifying new applications, markets, and customers
- Documentation of BKMs and procedures
- Lead customer technical review meetings
- Author white papers, product application notes, and technical papers for conferences
- Deliver training to new employees and target customers
- Ability to work individually and in groups
- Ability to explain difficult or sensitive information; build consensus around ideas and implementations
- Ability to adapt to new technical challenges and excited to work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to lead projects from kick-off till completion, with clear planning and periodic/final reporting
- Ability to deliver effective technical presentations and product demonstrations to customers