Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appétit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing, and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
We are embarking on an ambitious adventure to create the leading, state-of-the art specialty mushroom farm operation and are seeking a Facilities Supervisor to join our Operations team. This individual will help ensure the safe and continuous operations of our farm, including relevant HVAC, refrigeration and climate systems.
In a highly cross functional position, they will support the general facilities organization and correspond with the Production, Cultivation, Engineering, Expansion and R&D teams. Safety, maintenance, and cleanliness are the primary keys to keeping our farms at the top of their game.
As the Facilities Supervisor, you will lead the farm in maintaining critical systems, anticipate and prepare for any scenarios that could jeopardize our farmers or crops and work quickly and preemptively to mitigate risks using best-in-class tools and equipment. This role is expected to be on premise every day and is not a hybrid position.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Complete hands-on repairs and routine maintenance of sensors and equipment.
- Execute SOPs for maintenance, safety, and crisis response.
- Champion the Smallhold Food Safety program and ensure that all facilities and equipment related tasks are completed up to standard.
- Manage our fleet of vehicles; own upkeep and repair of company trucks, cars, and forklifts and their respective documentation.
- Steward the facility's maintenance ticketing system and preventative maintenance program. Ensure consistent and thorough documentation of all facility issues and associated budgets.
- Work with Engineering and R&D to ensure climate control systems and PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) are installed for support, safe operation, and the achievement of desired set-points.
- Troubleshoot, address, and repair mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and equipment issues at the farm promptly, managing the help of external contractors when needed.
- Build and manage an inventory of repair parts and build in redundancy.
- Actively communicate and collaborate with Cultivation and Production teams to proactively anticipate and work around repairs/maintenance.
- Coordinate with mini-farm technicians for maintenance schedules, parts ordering, etc.
- Cultivate and maintain a relationship with the landlord, coordinating and executing regular and seasonal maintenance.
- Travel for maintenance on our mini farms, located in Dallas and to our other facilities.
- This position will eventually expand to take the lead role for all preventative maintenance for all locations.
- 1-3 years of experience in facilities maintenance management or comparable prior experience managing repairs and troubleshooting HVAC, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Strong understanding of electromechanical systems
- Ability to resolve basic plumbing, electrical, and mechanical issues
- Leadership skills and experience in developing, collaborating with, and delegating to others
- Self-starter and self-manager with high attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain technical topics in layman's terms
- Extensive experience and comfort operating vehicles, machinery, and tools.
- Prior experience working with trucks, motorized lifts, tools, dishwashers, irrigation systems, and PLC controllers is a plus
- Ability to accurately follow technical instructions, operations, and manuals
- Ability to work in cold environments, lift 50 lbs, and stand for long periods of time
- Comfortable with Ubuntu/Linux environments
- Basic knowledge of computer networks
- Comfortable wearing proper PPE, which includes but is not limited to half-face respirators and KN95 masks.
- Relevant engineering or technician degrees, certifications, and/or apprenticeships preferred
- Licensed electrician and/or HVAC technician
- Food service or food manufacturing experience
- Experience as a safety manager and trainer. Comfortable training others on LOTO protocols, safe vehicle use, and crisis management
- Mushroom cultivation experience
- Enjoy being hands-ons
- Annual based compensation: $70-75K
- Medical Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holiday Programs
- Equity Participation
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.