Senior People Operations Coordinator
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
About the Role
Sofar is building the first full-stack ocean intelligence platform to help solve some of the world’s hardest problems, and contribute to a more sustainable future. From an operational perspective that means that we combine advances in technology with ocean and atmospheric science to create data services and SaaS products for our customers. We are growing rapidly on all fronts, which brings increased operational complexities and challenges. To help maintain a productive, efficient and happy team we want to add a People Operations Coordinator to our team. We are looking for an experienced People person who combines a passion for building an exceptional company culture with the ability to partner with the very best part of Sofar Ocean, our Sofarers.
- You will report to the Head of People and work cross-functionally with management and Sofarers across all functions to ensure we build an exceptional company for both our SF HQ and remote employees
- People & Talent Support - assist with various administrative responsibilities, such as maintaining employee records, preparing regular reports to track key people metrics, payroll support, and scheduling interviews, coordinating our weekly company All Hands
- New Hire Onboarding - facilitate the onboarding process for new hires, including conducting orientations, preparing welcome materials, and ensuring all necessary documentation is completed
- Employee Engagement - contribute to and drive employee engagement initiatives, events, and activities that foster a positive workplace culture
- Coordinate office events, meetings, and celebrations, both in-house and off-site in partnership with our Workplace Manager.
- Foster and promote culture - act as the voice of Sofarers
- Gather feedback from your peers and drive efforts to improve life at Sofar Ocean
- Promote a positive and inclusive working culture
- General administrative support activities, including: maintaining employee files and information in HRIS (Bob), Greenhouse, Gusto, Remote.com
- Serve as a People Operations point-person for all employees, available during Pacific or Central Time Zone working hours to provide immediate and effective support to our team
- Exercise professionalism and good judgment in a variety of situations, demonstrating initiative and a willingness to learn and help others
- Manage/create Greenhouse job postings and interview plans, interview logistics, including coordinating with hiring managers, interview panels, and candidates
Personal Attributes & Qualities
- Strong organization skills
- Prior experience balancing multiple priorities across functions
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Resourceful, willing to hit the ground running and work with your peers to tackle the unknown
- You are a role model and ambassador for our company values.
- You embrace challenges, welcome feedback, and see effort as the path to mastery.
- Prioritization is a strength of yours.
- You take pride in your attention to detail and consistency
- You are a doer who is passionate about building and supporting diverse, energized, and high-performing teams.
- You are excited to dig in with team members to understand what keeps them motivated and happy.
- Fast-thinking, collaborative and are able to communicate (both verbally and written) clearly. You can talk through difficult issues with colleagues and make decisions based on evidence and argument, not ego.
- You take full accountability and take the initiative to find solutions. You operate with a sense of urgency and derive satisfaction from shipping for impact.
- Passion for the Ocean.
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
- Knowledge of Gusto, Greenhouse, HRIS, Notion, Slack
Estimated Salary Range
- $80,000 - $110,000
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.