Senior Manager, Technical Solutions Engineering, BESS
Stem provides clean energy solutions and services designed to maximize the economic, environmental, and resiliency value of energy assets and portfolios. Stem’s leading AI-driven enterprise software platform, Athena®, enables organizations to deploy and unlock value from clean energy assets at scale. Powerful applications, including AlsoEnergy’s PowerTrack, simplify and optimize asset management and connect an ecosystem of owners, developers, assets, and markets. Stem also offers integrated partner solutions to help improve returns across energy projects, including storage, solar, and EV fleet charging. For more information, visit www.stem.com.
Stem’s culture embodies diversity & inclusion beyond the traditional facets of gender, ethnicity, age, disabilities, and sexual orientation to include experience, personality, communication, workstyles, and more. At our core, Stem is at the momentous intersection of clean energy and software technology where diverse ideas, experiences, and professional skills converge to make the inclusive culture we have today. Together, we are turning old school thoughts about software and energy into progressive, collaborative, and innovative solutions. By joining our team, you will be collaborating with data scientists, energy experts, skilled salespeople, thought-leading executives and more from a range of backgrounds. This intersection of ideas, beliefs, and skills is what makes us unique enough to lead the world’s largest network of digitally connected energy storage systems.
What we are looking for:
As the Senior Manager of Technical Solutions Engineering (TSE) you will be providing the sales team and Stem’s customers technical engineering support throughout the origination and design phases of renewable power and energy storage systems. You will serve as a trusted advisor and ultimately lend credibility to utility-scale storage opportunities throughout the sales lifecycle. Day-to-day that will mean joining customer calls, describing technical solutions, and managing technical cases / opportunities across a team. As Stem is building and expanding the TSE team, this role will help build and lead the TSEs providing the pre-sale solutions. You will engage with sales, division leaders, partners, and deployment teams understanding and coordinating technical matters to align with product strategy. Travel within the US is occasionally required including visits to Stem’s San Francisco Bay Area HQ. This position will be ideally located in Austin or Boulder/Denver but can be remotely located near a major airport.
- Help build and ultimately manage an arm of Stem’s Technical Solutions Engineering team
- Vet the technical viability of a solution as it is applied to each project or portfolio opportunity that comes through the sales team (leveraging the team behind you for additional bandwidth)
- Distribute Technical Solutions Requests (TSR) cases to the team and ensure timely follow-up / support is delivered to sales and the customer
- Review RFPs and informal client requests and then develop preliminary system design concepts, layouts, and technical specifications based on Stem standards as defined by the company divisions (FTM, BTM, and APM)
- Liaise with sales and product marketing to define value proposition for client’s needs when developing proposals
- Provide necessary support and documentation for Stem balance of plant and cost estimates
- Provide scope of work documents and technical contract exhibit language as necessary before the customer issues a P.O. for the Deployment team to carry out after the sale is complete
- Support the deployment team during Project Construction with scope clarifications
- Provide technical support to the sales and legal teams in the negotiations with the client. Participate and be responsible for technical hardware and software services during contracting.
- Interact with division leaders, product management, and procurement to evaluate and specify special buys with equipment vendors
- Request appropriate technical documentation (datasheets, technical specification, product warranty detail, etc.) from division leaders and product management as part of the contracting process
- Support developing and/or contributing detailed design concepts for energy storage system design for awarded projects
- Support customers on utility interconnection applications from initial submission through project closeout, including design revisions, schedule tracking, and project management. Work often includes creation of single line drawings and reviewing or completing interconnection applications for the different jurisdictions.
- Prior experience in client interaction & excellent written/verbal communication
- Solution-oriented, organized problem-solving skillset
- BS in Electrical Engineering or any other related engineering discipline
- Minimum 10+ years in total related experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience with utility-scale renewable energy generation projects
- 3 -5 years of Power engineering and/or system integration experience required
- 2+ years large-scale interconnection experience required
- Proven experience with interconnections, ideally in one or more of ERCOT, CAISO, ISONE and NYISO
- AutoCAD software proficiency
- Strong knowledge of industry standard design codes such as National Electric Code, International Building Code, International Fire Code and other industry standards and ideally affiliations with IEEE and/or EEI trade organizations
- Strong knowledge of electrical principles, including medium voltage distribution, protection system coordination and relaying principles
- Willingness to travel up to 25 – 40% for site visits, customer and utility meetings. New business standards have necessitated less in the last few years, but that could change.
Option for remote work, located near a major airport.
Salary Range$119,000.00 - $166,750.00
Stem, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.