Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies - from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups - use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone's reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Frontier is an advance market commitment to buy $925M+ of permanent carbon removal by 2030. Frontier aims to send a strong demand signal to researchers, entrepreneurs, and investors that there is a growing market for their technologies. Frontier was founded by Stripe, Alphabet, Shopify, Meta and McKinsey, and operates as a subsidiary of Stripe.
To avoid the worst effects of climate change, most climate models agree the world will need around 6 billion tons of carbon removal a year by 2050. If successful, we’ll increase the likelihood that the world has the portfolio of carbon removal solutions needed to reach these climate goals. Read more about our approach here.
What you’ll do
As a Diligence Lead for Frontier, you’ll be responsible for helping us figure how to deploy the initial $925M+ to be maximally catalytic for the field.. Your job is to find and make recommendations on which carbon removal companies to buy from, including seeking out and soliciting input from cross-disciplinary (and often niche) expertise, ranging from science and engineering, to operations and finance. This role requires someone with an understanding of a broad set of disciplines, fearlessness and humility to dive into new topics, and exceptional judgment to drive towards the ‘right’ recommendations.
- Source and evaluate high-potential carbon removal suppliers across a wide range of stages, approaches, and geographies
- Negotiate large carbon removal offtake deals, ranging from $5-50 M in total value
- Manage end-to-end diligence process on 1-4 suppliers at any given time, including consideration of: potential to fulfill Frontier’s CDR purchase criteria, ability to execute, and fit within Frontier’s portfolio.
- Work with a network of technical experts to vet technology performance and potential
- Write compelling purchase recommendations for Frontier buyers that synthesize application materials
- Support Frontier portfolio companies post-agreement in quarterly check-ins, investor calls, letters of support, etc.
- Help shape Frontier’s overall purchase strategy and by-pathway theses
Who you are
- BA or BS degree
- You have 7-10 years of relevant experience in commercialization, project development, or late-stage deep tech investing
- You’re an exceptionally fast learner. You enjoy (and have experience) quickly ramping on new technical topics
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills - and in particular, you are adept at translating technical jargon into layman’s terms and summarizing complex concepts in a succinct manner.
- You have excellent quantitative skills, including experience with techno-economic analysis and intuition for pressure testing the cost drivers for a business.
- You’re uniquely good at getting to the crux of an issue, and can quickly sort the signal from the noise
- You are low ego, and have a proven track record for working well across teams and with external partners
- PhD in a climate-relevant scientific or engineering discipline
- First-hand experience building/scaling real-world technology and businesses
- Experience allocating large budgets towards frontier technologies (such as VC or government grant programs like ARPA-E)
- Have a deep understanding of the landscape of carbon removal technologies and the techno-economics of large scale carbon capture and storage systems
Pay & Benefits
The annual US base salary range for this role is $137,100 - $185,500. For sales roles, the range provided is the role’s On Target Earnings ("OTE") range, meaning that the range includes both the sales commissions/sales bonuses target and annual base salary for the role. This salary range may be inclusive of several career levels at Stripe and will be narrowed during the interview process based on a number of factors, including the candidate’s experience, qualifications, and location. Applicants interested in this role and who are not located in the US may request the annual salary range for their location during the interview process.
Additional benefits for this role may include: equity, company bonus or sales commissions/bonuses; 401(k) plan; medical, dental, and vision benefits; and wellness stipends.
We look forward to hearing from you
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.