Senior IT Security Engineer
Senior IT Security Engineer
Location: San Francisco Bay Area or remote with ability to work Pacific time zone hours
At Synop, we are dedicated to accelerating fleet vehicle (EV) deployments through our SaaS platform that manages EVs and EV charging solutions for the world’s largest commercial fleets. Our ambitions are massive - build a game-changing software company and lower greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector. We are a seed-funded start-up backed by leading VCs including Obvious Ventures, Wireframe Ventures, and Better Ventures. Come join our rocket ship and help accelerate our growth!
Interested in making a positive impact on the climate crisis, solving tough problems, and breaking new ground? Then read on…
We are a people-first company aiming to create a unique culture where everyone can do work they’re proud of, form lasting relationships, and make an impact. Our values help define who we are as a company:
● We are customer obsessed. Our mission is to solve the biggest, hidden infrastructural barriers for customers looking to make and manage the transition to electric vehicles seamlessly.
● We are accountable. We deliver what customers need…sometimes before they know what that is…and have the tenacity it takes to be first movers.
● We are curious. We gain a deep understanding of customer needs and wants and explore new approaches to help our customers reach their goals.
● We approach others with empathy and acceptance. We see the product from the customers' perspective; we see people as they want to be seen, with an open mind, honoring and accepting unique differences.
● We act with urgency. We have a unique opportunity right now to make a remarkable difference for the world, for our customers and for our people.
…and we uphold the highest standards of honesty and integrity in all we do.
We take pride in our people as well as in the products and services we provide, and each role is not only an opportunity for us to hire great talent but make a connection with someone who shares our values and is passionate about our mission.
We are seeking an exceptionally talented Senior Security Engineer with a specialized focus on Kubernetes and microservices environments, well-versed in security and compliance, observability, and site reliability engineering. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in crafting, implementing, and fortifying security measures, compliance protocols, and observability solutions. These efforts are not only aimed at safeguarding our systems but also at elevating our customers' interactions with our products.
Experience with GDPR compliance is a distinct advantage, showcasing your ability to navigate complex regulatory landscapes.
What You’ll Be Doing
Security and Compliance:
· Formulate and uphold security policies, practices, and procedures that are finely tuned for the corresponding architecture, fortifying the company's infrastructure, data, and processes.
· Continuously scrutinize, evaluate, and mitigate security vulnerabilities and threats, conducting periodic security audits and risk assessments.
· Take a leading role in ensuring compliance with industry-specific security standards and regulations.
· Collaborate extensively with cross-functional teams and vendors, guiding the adoption of security best practices.
· Contribute towards design and sustain observability solutions purpose-built for Kubernetes ecosystems, allowing for comprehensive monitoring and data collection across our product infrastructure.
· Develop and oversee the instrumentation of Infrastructure and service deployments, enabling the collection of telemetry data such as logs, metrics, and traces. This invaluable data will provide insights into system performance and user interactions within application frameworks.
· Leverage observability data to proactively identify and resolve issues, optimize the performance of microservices-based systems, and elevate the overall customer experience.
· Collaborate closely with product teams, harnessing customer behavior and product usage data from environments to drive product enhancements and innovations.
Site Reliability Engineering:
· Devote your expertise to ensuring the reliability and availability of our platform and systems.
· Implement industry-leading practices in incident management, post-incident analysis, and disaster recovery planning.
· Engineer and automate operational tasks, crafting tooling that enhances the efficiency and scalability of our cloud and microservices-based systems.
· Engage in on-call rotations to provide swift responses and resolutions to critical incidents in production environments.
What You’ll Bring to the Role
· A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Security, or a related field, or a track record of advanced training leading to security-related certifications (e.g., CISSP, CISM, AWS Certified Security).
· A robust background spanning 8 or more years in software engineering, with at least 5 years dedicated to security engineering, particularly in Kubernetes and microservices environments.
· Demonstrated expertise as a Security Engineer, marked by a profound grasp of security protocols, cryptography, and network security.
· Proven experience in the planning, implementation, and management of observability solutions, encompassing a strong familiarity with tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, ELK, or similar.
· Mastery of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles and practices, encompassing incident response, monitoring, and automation.
· Proficiency in programming and scripting languages (e.g., Python, Bash, Go), alongside hands-on experience with automation tools (e.g., Pulumi, Terraform).
· Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, enabling seamless interaction with cross-functional teams and the effective communication of complex technical concepts.
How You’ll Be Supported
We want our people to feel supported so they can thrive in all aspects of their work-life. We offer a full array of employee benefits and are adding more options as we grow. In addition to working with remarkable people in a remarkable culture, we offer the following:
● Medical, dental, vision coverage (Synop contributes 50% of your premium), along with Employee Assistance Program and other benefits.
● Unlimited PTO. We want you to take time off to recharge so you perform at your best. We don’t set a specific number of days. Take what you need; just be reasonable and make sure your deliverables are met.
● Paid holidays.
● Wellness benefit.
● Flexibility. We are a virtual-first company with people across the US. We manage by objective.
● Health care spending account and Commuter benefit.
● Access to local co-working space (where we have people, you’ll have colleagues to collaborate with in person!)
● A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
● An opportunity as an early team member to help shape the direction of the company
● Earn uncapped commission as you sell a new and disruptive technology into a huge market
All things are a conversation and salary will be discussed in the 1st call, not the last one. Base salary and total compensation are dependent upon many factors, such as: skills, experience, and relevant past roles. The target for this role is $150,000 - $180,000.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
Sustaining the future is what we do…for the planet, our customers, and our people. We are committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion and connectedness. Our commitment to inclusion and equity means that we value who you are and the path you’ve taken to get here. We're more interested in your experiences, results, and impact than brand names, degrees, or keywords on your resume.
Synop recruits and supports a distributed team of people across the US who work remotely. Our guiding principle is “purpose-driven”: whether we work at home or in one of our offices, and with what frequency; whether we’re working virtually or traveling to get together for periodic in person collaboration events. Our working norms are evolving, and we expect our people to help shape our path forward.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Synop is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices.
If you’re looking to join a company where you can proudly bring your whole self to work, can help drive success, and have fun solving hard problems that matter, we can’t wait to meet you. Apply today!