Senior Software Engineer, GNC
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
Xwing is seeking an energetic GNC candidate to conduct cutting-edge work in sensing and high-level vehicle controls to achieve safety-certified aviation autonomy. You’ll work with a world-class engineering team using a combination of model-based and code-based development and incorporating inputs from computer vision and machine learning.
Responsibilities and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Develop algorithms for state estimation, sensor fusion, target tracking, high-level vehicle controls, and path planning
- Prototype and test algorithms in simulation
- Write flight test cards, participate in flight test briefs
- Participate in the flight test from either the ground control room or onboard the aircraft , and conduct post-flight analysis
- Work with the broader team to develop and maintain simulation environments for autonomous aircraft
- Run large scale simulations, analyze simulation results and generate high-quality reports
- Follow and support flight test activity
- Conduct engineering trade studies, document decision process and implementation
- Derive subsystem requirements and specifications, including sensors and control actuation
- Assist with hardware selection for sensor and other subsystems
- Support subsystem testing and verification in simulation and in the field
- Perform system identification and parameter identification
- Contribute ideas for multiple solutions to controls problems and provide healthy feedback and discussion to your team
- 2-10 years of professional GNC experience in aerospace, naval, automotive, or related fields
- Demonstrated expertise in sensor fusion
- Strong background in probabilistic estimation theory and signal filtering
- Experience with real-time operations and real-world data
- Experience doing model-based development with MATLAB/Simulink
- Proficient in C or C++
- Effective at working in a multidisciplinary team and communicating across stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment
- Understanding of DO-331 (and DO-178) formal software development process for certification
- Experience selecting and testing sensors, actuators, and similar hardware
- Experience with autonomous systems
- Experience writing formal high-level requirements from system requirements
- MS/PhD in a related field (CS / ME / AE / EE)
Compensation & Benefits:
Base Salary range: $140,000 - $ 165,000 a year
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Various voluntary benefits
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.