Navigation System Lead
Meet one of your future colleagues!
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a Navigation System Lead to spearhead the development of cutting edge navigation solutions for our uncrewed autonomous aircraft. You will be part of a high-energy, collaborative leadership team, aimed at taking the Xwing autonomy products from proof-of-concept through commercial certification. As the Navigation System Lead, you will be an enabler for the teams responsible for autonomy product development, including flight controls, hazard avoidance, aircraft management, ground control, platform software, integration, and tools.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop algorithms for state estimation, sensor fusion, high-level vehicle controls, and path planning
- Prototype and verify algorithms in the simulation environment and on flight vehicle
- Work with software engineers to develop and maintain a simulation environment for the aircraft and its avionics equipment
- Run large-scale simulations, analyze simulation results, and generate high-quality reports
- Conduct engineering trade studies, document decision process and implementation
- Derive subsystem requirements and specifications, including sensors, compute platforms and control actuation
- Support hardware selection for navigation avionics and sensors
- Passion for fast-paced environment
- 5+ years of professional GNC experience in aviation, aerospace, naval, or related fields
- Familiarity with aviation navigation systems and products
- Experience selecting and testing relevant sensors, compute, and/or other hardware
- Demonstrated expertise in sensor fusion
- Strong background in probabilistic estimation theory and signal filtering
- Experience with real-time operations and real-world data
- Effective at working in a multidisciplinary team and communicating with stakeholders
- Familiarity with airworthiness standards and operating requirements for aviation navigation systems
- Experience developing visual navigation solutions incorporating SLAM, visual odometry, or similar techniques
- Experience with certification of avionics on an FAA STC or TC project
- Development experience using Matlab / Simulink Coder or similar model-based tools
- MS/PhD in a related field (CS / ME / AE / EE)
Compensation & Benefits:
Annual base salary range: $150,000 - $220,000.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Annual bonus
- Equity and 401k
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Various voluntary benefits
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.