Lead UX/UI Designer
How to Apply
Email your resume and answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What excites you about this role and why are you the right person for it?
- What is a challenging design problem you’ve faced and how did you solve it?
We can’t wait to hear from you!
At Zero, we are changing the paradigm of how homeowners plan and purchase energy upgrades for their homes. We are streamlining today’s time-intensive and often frustrating process with a self-serve interface that delivers actionable intelligence to homeowners so they can get their projects done without all the hassle.
It’s never been more important to help homeowners understand the health of their home, how it impacts the planet, and to make it easier for them to take action. With Zero, homeowners experience a quick, no pressure, and even delightful experience purchasing upgrades for their home. And by partnering with a trusted network of Trade Partners, Zero helps to facilitate installations for heat pumps, solar panels, and electrical upgrades giving homeowners a single point of contact through their project.
Who we are
Zero is on a mission to electrify the world’s homes for healthy and sustainable living. We believe everyone has the right to a healthy home. We’re solving the world’s hardest problem, climate change, and we’re looking to grow our team with similarly minded, passionate change-makers who want to dramatically impact and improve millions of people’s lives.
Born out of previous experience running a general contracting business and designing remote-sensing satellites at NASA, Zero is building the toolkit to digitally assess homes and automate the design of all-electric home energy upgrades. We are building a simple experience for homeowners to enable them to plan, purchase, and schedule installations with local, certified contractors within minutes.
Zero is based in Denver, CO, venture-backed, and partnered with the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL). Learn more at zerohomes.io
Who you are
You combine strong design skills with exceptional pragmatism and curiosity to drive product direction. You strive to design experiences that support users while moving them efficiently through products or funnels, less on beauty. You’re a student of the craft that can combine influences to create something unique and bring in industry best practices to the company. You have genuine curiosity for the user's problems and have the empathy to solve them with care. Finally, you are passionate about our company mission and want to be part of a team making a tangible impact in improving people’s lives and saving the planet!
What you’ll do
Zero Homes is seeking a talented and experienced UX/UI Designer to join our team. As the first full-time UX/UI hire, we’re looking for someone to set standards and own the entire design process including: user research and testing, wire-framing, developing pixel-perfect designs, and ensuring the engineering team can implement your work.
That said, creating design assets and workflows will only be one facet of the role — your foundation will be diving deep into the product with our users to understand their needs and the types of problems they are trying to solve with Zero Homes. You will collaborate internally with our product lead and engineering team to distill those customer needs and insights in clear features and potential new products.
Strong candidates will meet many, but not all, of the following skills and experience:
- 4+ years of experience in UX/UI
- Demonstrated ability to lead a design effort, including: customer research, wireframing, user testing, and creating pixel-perfect designs
- Have strong opinions about design, weakly held
- Very strong project management and organizational skills with demonstrated track-record of managing against and meeting multiple deadlines
- Ability to work amongst engineering teams and make their job easier, not harder.
- A strategic thinker – able to break down and simplify complex processes
- Adaptable, flexible, collaborative team player that brings a positive can-do attitude
Nice to have
- Experience using website builders (Squarespace, webflow, etc.)
- Front end development skills (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Industry background: residential construction, electrification, HVAC, Solar, or Energy.
- Strong graphic design or illustration skills
This is a full-time role with the expected compensation between $80,000-$110,000 depending on experience and meaningful equity
- Meaningful Stock Options
- Health Insurance
- 2 WFH days per week
- 3 Weeks PTO + Unlimited Sick Days
- Relocation (as needed)