Senior Software Engineer | Embedded Systems
Predictive battery management software for electrified fleets
Senior Software Engineer | Embedded Systems
About the role
Batteries have a big role to play in tackling the climate crisis, and it’s essential to make sure that they’re safe and reliable to operate.
At Zitara (YCombinator S20), we build cutting-edge software solutions that empower companies to deeply understand their batteries, both in design and deployment. It’s all part of our work to enable a renewable energy revolution, powered by safer batteries, at a lower cost, with less waste. Our customers operate >$100M deployments of batteries in satellites, EVs, and renewable energy storage installations.
Our team brings top researchers in physics-based battery algorithms together with seasoned software engineers to build safety-critical firmware and large scale machine learning systems. We bring with us decades of experience from companies like Tesla, Cruise, and Google.
The Embedded Systems team is responsible for developing and delivering Zitara Live, our industry-leading software package to deliver adaptive controls software onboard batteries across EV, aerospace, IoT, utility-scale storage applications, and beyond. Zitara Live algorithms are powered by Zitara's proprietary battery models, which apply advanced numerical methods to provide precise, actionable battery insight.
Zitara Live serves a broad range of customers operating across diverse platforms, from small embedded microcontrollers to full POSIX server systems, while meeting high-assurance guarantees and hard real-time requirements. Our work supports flexibility, efficiency, and robustness, and spans all phases of the software lifecycle across algorithm implementation, verification and testing, application packaging for distribution, and incorporating customer feedback.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join the Embedded Systems team. In this role you will implement complex algorithmic firmware and systems-level software; create solutions to make core functionality available across a variety of systems and platforms; and navigate the practical realities of delivering real-time software to multiple customers.
The nature of Zitara Live as a product that supplies capability to our customers’ systems means that our work spans the full range of the software/firmware stack, from bare-metal embedded contexts all the way up to distributed server-based applications. Success in this role can take several forms, and we are interested in candidates with deep domain expertise as well as candidates with a broad experience base.
- Understand complex problems across multiple disciplines and apply software engineering methodology to attack them.
- Implement software to meet high-assurance and reliability requirements in portable C
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate new product features and evaluate customer requirements.
- Create testing and verification frameworks to characterize performance and correctness across multiple targets.
- Develop applications and systems to package and distribute the Zitara Live product to customers.
- Generate concise customer-facing documentation and reference materials.
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ years experience in industry software development in systems level C.
- Creative problem solving to meet customer needs under limited resource and engineering constraints.
- Experience shipping an embedded product to customers.
- Experience with embedded toolchains and build systems.
- Familiarity with basic git workflows for collaborative software development.
- Clear and effective written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with battery or energy systems applications.
- Familiarity with analog sensing and signals.
- Experience with test-driven development for embedded systems and hardware-in-the-loop testing.
- Practical knowledge of digital signal protocols such as I2C, SPI, and CAN.
- Practical knowledge of network messaging protocols, such as MQTT or otherwise.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience with Bazel.
- Working knowledge of control systems (eg PID control or state estimation).
- Knowledge of numerical methods and pitfalls with floating point math.
- Experience in high assurance systems development (eg, ISO26262 or DO178).
What We Offer
- A full-time position, working from our office in San Francisco, CA or remotely.
- Competitive pay.
- Health, Dental, and Vision care for you and your family.
- A 401k savings plan.
- “Unlimited PTO” vacation policy.
- Excellent colleagues that are interested in your happiness and growth.
About Zitara Technologies, Inc.
In order to keep climate change to 1.5°C, we’ll need 30% of global GDP (all of energy generation and transportation) to run on batteries by 2035.
Zitara Technologies (YCombinator S20) builds predictive battery management software for transportation and energy customers with large deployments. Their customers operate >$100M deployments of batteries in satellites, EVs, and renewable energy storage installations.