Senior Process Engineer
What is XFuel anyway? 🚀🌳⛽
Our mission is to decarbonise the transportation industry, and we devote our technology, time and talent to advancing the transition to sustainable low-carbon fuels.
For the world to reach net-zero, we urgently need sustainable liquid fuel replacements now. Over the last 10 years, XFuel has developed and patented technologies to produce sustainable low-carbon road, marine and aviation fuels only from wastes of biogenic and non-biogenic origin.
Our road and marine fuel is a drop-in replacement to fossil fuels, not requiring blending, engine modifications or infrastructure investment in energy distribution or storage. Our project capital requirements are up to 5x lower, and our production costs are comparable or lower than fossil fuel market prices. We have a pilot plant in Mallorca, Spain which demonstrates our technologies producing up to 1mil litres of fuel, and have a modular approach to scaling up production in our commercial projects.
XFuel’s goal is to build, own and operate plants globally, becoming the full-stack sustainable fuel company for the 21st century. We are rising to the challenge of decarbonising the transportation industry and we are looking for passionate people to help us get there. We hope to find people that reflect our mission, vision, values and drive.
What is my mission? 👩💻👨💻
Your first mission in this role is to be part of the core engineering team in driving our modular technology to commerciality, pathing the road to decarbonising the transportation industry.
You will be assisting in the design, planning, licensing, construction and commissioning of our first commercial-scale conversion and upgrading plants. You will also be working closely with the head of engineering to design, revise and implement improvements on our demonstration plant in Mallorca, Spain, as well as being integral in the growth and nurturing of our core engineering team. The successful candidate will be able to improve industrial processes in order to maintain efficiency, reduce cost, improve sustainability and maximise profitability.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in the designing, planning, licensing, construction and commissioning of our first modular commercial-scale industrial plant
- Developing, configuring and optimising industrial processes from inception through to start up and certification
- Review and development of conceptual and front-end process engineering, process simulation, equipment lists and data sheets
- Working as part of a team in the reviewing and preparation of PFD & P&ID, and HAZID & HAZOP assessments
- Collaborating with and evaluating external engineering, environmental, licensing and construction parties
- Developing and implementing improvements to our existing pilot plant (Mallorca, Spain)
- Contributing to team and organisational improvements in process and best practices
- Participating in techno-economic and scale-up evaluation, including the implementation of Critical Design Review processes
- Working with the team in the development and investigation of all our products
- Assisting in the growth and nurturing of the core engineering team
Those who are successful will progress quickly, either as individual contributors or following a management path.
We’re looking for someone who: 🧠💚🥇
- Holds a degree in Chemical/Process Engineering
- 6+ years experience in the design, implementation and project management of process oriented systems, with a preference for bio-refining (biomass to liquid), pyrolysis, thermal conversion, catalytic processes, oil refining, carbon capture, or other related processes.
- Consistent track record of working on and collectively delivering sophisticated projects.
- Understanding of renewable energy concepts, trends, and economics.
- Excellent and clear communication skills for team-based working and external parties.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively, as needed, to achieve your mission.
- Be a highly motivated, proactive and passionate person.
- Feel drawn to the company mission and vision, and excited to be part of our culture.
- Is a self-starter who thrives in constantly evolving environments, ideally with early-stage start-up experience.
It would be beneficial to be: 🧠🥈
- Holding a Master's degree or higher
- Bilingual (English & Spanish)
- Knowledge of process control systems
Mallorca, Spain (GMT +1) – It doesn’t get any better!
Our Values 🙌
We focus on impact – we work on problems that have the biggest impact.
We innovate to better serve our planet – we believe innovation is crucial in tackling climate change.
We act with integrity – do what’s right, even when it’s hard.
We are passionate and win together – we know that success is a result of great teams, positive energy and collaboration
What if you’re a partial fit? 🌱
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity 🌈
XFuel is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- High-impact mission and purpose-driven team / culture
- Competitive salary
- Equity in a fast growing start-up
- Working from one of the most incredible places to live! https://bit.ly/lifeinmallorca
- Monthly team lunches and socials
- Enhanced parental leave